Tuesday 19 March 2013

Depending on Others

One thing I have struggled with this inquiry is to depend on others. Even though this is not part of my inquiry (as in the content) but it is part of the process I have found the participants to be very difficult to get. I noticed that as soon as I mention the word "research" people seems to run for the hills. I really had to be inventive and think outside the box to get the information that was required for the inquiry.

When I wasn't really getting any when with the institutions I thought about visiting open days because this give me the tool to have a honest answers from the institutions. I still didn't get the interviews I needed from potential students and their parent (after exhausting all my resources, by calling schools, emailing schools, visiting and calling stage schools (this was an idea from my SIG buddy Rozana) and even praying I'll meet willing participant during the open days/evening). However, I did meet an older participant in my last open day visit and she was great. I will use some of her interview in the research. Due to all the problems I was facing I have decided to change my inquiry slightly from "What makes an attractive performing arts course/institution?"  to "Why are Performing Arts courses so Attractive". By changing it to this title still allowed me to use all the information I have gathered up both from the open days/evening and the literature to continue with the inquiry.

At first I was angry about the participants (or lack of), but now I am grateful to them and I am happy with how things turn out. I have now learnt more about all the good qualities performing arts or creative subjects have to offer not just to people who are in the profession, or its students but to society and the human race as a whole. Before this inquiry I knew some of the qualities and skills such as confident, interpersonal skills and self expression. But I now release how close psychology, science, sport and performing arts (just to name a few subjects) are and how learning and participating in performing arts gives you other skills and insight into other subjects. I think this is one of the reason young people (16-19 years old) are encouraged to study Performing Arts as one of their courses in college when they are unsure of what career direction to take. I also discovered that students who did Performing Arts courses have secured university places in really good courses such as Law, Bussiness, Accounting and some students have gained excellent position with top law and accounting firms.

Through my research I also found stigma linking to the type of qualifications performing arts offer. I have discovered that most performing arts courses are BTEC qualifications and these qualification tends to be looked down upon by (some) universities/courses and some employers in favours for the more academic Advance Level (A-Levels) courses. However, every institution I spoke to said that BTEC qualifications are more suitable for Performing Arts Courses especially those who want to enter the industry.    

I also find out things that can help anyone on any courses that is really big and important and that people who either have it, take it for granted or wished they didn't have it.

This research has really helped me learn more about the course I studied for many years but more about myself, my work with young people and my society.

2 comments:

  1. Rhoda it will be interesting to see your data - Ahmet is finding out some data that you two might be able to compare - try leaving a comment on his blog together in touch. Bw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll do that. Thanks Paula.

    ReplyDelete