Sunday 24 March 2013

Diplomas Vs Advance Level

From my research I have found out that performing arts subjects tends not to be valued as much as other subjects, so my research is focused on all the excellent qualities and transferable skills Performing Arts subjects has to offer.

 The one shock I really got from my research is when I found out that Diplomas are not as valued Advance Level both in employment setting and in higher educational. This part of my research got my attention when I came across a book called "Non-Traditional Entrants to Higher Education: They talk about people like me" by Marion Bowl . This book did a research on women who have family and thought that they will never be good enough to go to university. Most of these women had diplomas in other subjects but their diplomas (even at level 3 which as the same weight as A-Level) did not meet some of the universities entry requirements. I was shock when I read this and thought it was incorrect because I did a BTEC National Diploma in Performing Arts at college and was able to secure different places at university including my first choice. However, when I went on a blog spot about the college I work at, this guy wrote a very interesting post about how diplomas are bad and he will never employ anyone who is under 21 with a diploma.

Then when I was mentoring a student at work, who wanted to study Psychology at Westminster University, she informed me that she was afraid that she might not go to university because not all university or courses take students with a diploma. I told her that is was not the case and that universities entry are based on grades or ucas point. When I was trying to prove my point, I went onto Westminster university website for their BSc Psychology entry requirement and was surprised to see that it stated that they do not accept diplomas.

If a student is studying drama for example (this is a form of practical form of psychology), then it means that a student has wasted two years of their live. The main reason for this snub is that many people think that diplomas are too practical and therefore easy, however their are written elements involve in diplomas. Most diplomas are 70% practical and 30% written and teachers really stress how important the written element is on the course (this is stated by all the institutions I visited).

I personally don't understand this snobbish attitude to Diplomas and all the students I has stated that the courses are not easy. When I did my diploma, I certainly didn't find it easy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment