Sunday 4 November 2012

Open day

My place of work had an open day on 20 October 2012. I was shock that in this open day, the students and their parents were only interested in their chosen subject. They weren’t really interested in what the college had to offer. The college has a lot of enrichment programmes and even hired for the first time ever this year someone who will organise and arrange the enrichment programme. For the day, there was only about 5 or so interest in the enrichment and social aspect side of the college. At the moment the focus was on the academic aspect side of the college.

Also what amazed me was the fact that Performing Arts programmes had very little interest. I thought that this department would be very busy and packed with potential students and their parents but it only had about two to three interested students/parents per tour where as Social Studies and Childcare department were over flowing with potential students and parents. Colleagues’ even made comment about how popular this was. I really don’t know why this was and I couldn’t investigate this further because I was working with the enrichment/ youth worker since my role and work relates very closely to this area. I was also dealing and promoting finance and counselling. My guess and suggestion might be because of the university fees raise and credit crunch that young people are thinking ahead of their future and want a secure jobs. These sectors will offer them a secure job and in some case free education after their college life. I will have to investigate this further and possibly have an interview with the teacher who was at the opening day and see their views and thoughts.   

1 comment:

  1. Some really interesting observations. i think you have more data than you realise about how people chose performing arts programmes. It just take thinking out of the box is terms of the data - its not data you expected like people not answering emails etc... but its great data none-the-less. It seems to be indicating themes about interest in dance as a study option.

    ReplyDelete